Thursday 17 January 2019

Thursday Movie Picks #236: 2018 Movies

At the time of writing I have seen 112 movies from 2018, but because of the way movie releasing works I am still yet to be given the opportunity to see some of the year’s most highly regarded films such as Burning and If Beale Street Could Talk.

Still here are three picks that are worthy of more attention. Also don't forget to visit - http://wanderingthroughtheshelves.blogspot.com/

Set entirely within an emergency call centre this Danish thriller tells a captivating story with the brilliant use of sound. Running at a brisk 90 minutes the film is exciting from first minute to last, expertly leaking out details to provide context to the whole story.


Winner of the Cannes' most prestigious prize, the Palm D’or, Shoplifters is about a family of petty crooks who find this abused, unloved young girl and take her in as part of the family. Its ponderous pace helps the reflections on the importance of family and obligation to care for to the youngest members of our society overcome the more questionable morality that these characters exhibit (and how they try to justify it). 

There’s an unexpected sting in the tale, one so left field it shakes the foundations of everything we thought about this family. So much so we question them and their motives, but the warmth we felt about the genuine affection they showed one another is a hard one to forget. The film’s power lays in the fact that we still think about the family long after the film is finished.

This gory little seen film about an undead teenage befriending an abused blind boy owes a lot of debt to Let the Right One in. However, the film’s emotional core is so strong is manages to craft an identity of its own and match the quality of the Swedish modern classi.

13 comments:

  1. I really want to see Shoplifters, I see it comes out on DVD here in Feb.

    When I went to drop The Guilty into my Netflix queue, the first movie that came up was apparently about a lawyer trying to salvage his career after he rapes his secretary so at first I was like "....wtf" Wrong movie. lol

    I saved The Dark in there too. It sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. That is very much the wrong movie.

      Delete
  2. I wanted to see SHOPLIFTERS when it came out, but a subtitled version wasn't available in my city. I've heard of the other 2, but they haven't been released here. They way you've described them make me feel interested in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh was it dubbed? Urg...

      Delete
    2. Well, every movie that's released here is dubbed, but some cinemas offer subtitled showings for some movies. I couldn't see these movies in theatres last year, even though I wanted to: A QUIET PLACE, INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE, THE DISASTER ARTIST, CRAZY RICH ASIANS, HEREDITARY, SEARCHING and TULLY.

      Delete
  3. Those movies are all awful

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen any of these, yet, but plan on seeing Shoplifters soon. The Dark sounds really interesting. I want to check that out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to see Shoplifters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tickets for the Wiggle Fun Tour go on sale tomorrow at 10:30am
    💛🎀🕥💛💜❤️💙
    💜💤🕥💛💜❤️💙
    ❤️🎵🕥💛💜❤️💙
    💙🍌🍇🍎🍉🕥💛💜❤️💙

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to make an effort to see more foreign movies, and The Guilty sounds like the kind of movie I would really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You saw a lot. I would really like to see these movies even the last one because it so7nds more intelligent than many typical horror flicks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of any of your picks. The last one sounds interesting; I love Let the Right One in.

    ReplyDelete