Thursday 26 February 2015

Thursday Movie Picks - Father-son relationships




Here are three movies that feature father-son relationships that I like and find quite touching. In no particular order. - Here is the genius who came up with the idea - http://wanderingthroughtheshelves.blogspot.co.uk/






Chris Gardner's father left him before he was even born, and because of this abandonment Chris has promised himself that he would not do the same to his son. Whilst the decisions undertaken may not be in the best interests for his son (for example living with his mother would make for a far more stable life) it is clear that Chris would literally go to the ends of the Earth for his son if he could. This was back when Jaden Smith was such an arse and much a better actor.






The main focal point of Paris, Texas is a husband trying to find his estranged wife, but in amongst the faultless performances, the heartbreaking script and perfect score (and I mean perfect) is a tender father –son relationship. After being absent for much of his son’s life Travis (Harry Dean Stanton) returns after four years and his clearly moved by the mention of his son. The two lock eyes and bond over footage of the pair and Travis’ wife Jane at the beach and this helps the pair build a trusting and loving relationship. The two leave to find Jane and whilst on this journey both father and son share memories and connect lovingly with each other. Very few films will ever move you like this one.




Winner of the Best Picture in 1980 Robert Redford's fine debut directorial effort about the death of an eldest son and the affect this has on a family features a fine father-son relationship. Conrad's relationship with his mother is stony and cold to say the least, and his father's attempts to connect with him come off as awkward more than anything. However, his son's wellbeing is of paramount important (something Conrad does begin to appreciate) and as the film progresses their relationship becomes a powerful and unbreakable one.


20 comments:

  1. I somehow like Pursuit of Happyness! That's a real deal in picturing the father-son relationship, moreover the toilet scene... oh that's heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my most dramtic moment was when saw a massive que of homeless people trying to get into the hostel/shelter whilst a flash car drove by.

      Delete
  2. I've only seen the Pursuit of Happyness here, but that's a perfect choice. I really want to see Paris, Texas though. I need to throw that in my Netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you should do is move Paris,Texas from the bottom of the queue to the number one spot and then get a box of tissues.

      Delete
  3. I've only seen Ordinary People of these three. A powerful film and so apt for the theme, all three leads are great and I can't believe Sutherland didn't receive awards acknowledgement at the time. But then I find it amazing he's never been nominated for an Oscar at any time throughout his career! So much excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Donald Sutherland is one of be faveorite actors.

      Delete
  4. Paris Texas is an absolutely gorgeous, but devastating movie. It crushed me, yet I could not take my misty eyes off the screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, everything is just perfect but it is a utterly heartbreaking film.

      Delete
  5. Paris, Texas! Yes. Such a great pick. The real winner here, though, is Ordinary People. Donald Sutherland's work is incredible as the father character. Such a powerful story. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Donald Sutherland's work here is great. He's one of my favourite actors

      Delete
  6. Ordinary People! I am amazed that I didn't think of that one myself, actually. I loved that novel and movie so much, and the father-son relationship is the heart of it. Happyness is a wonderful choice, too. I haven't seen Paris Texas yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommended Paris, Texas more than any other film. It's a stunning film.

      Delete
  7. Paris Texas and Ordinary People are movies I've heard about here and there but never really knew what they were about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, Paris, Texas is such a brilliant film, but I rarely associate it with father/son, mostly because that conclusion is so...blinding. Like, that's all I can think about. Love these choices though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The ending was the fourth time I cried throughout the film.

      Delete
  9. Have never seen Paris, Texas but is now on my list. Great choices with Pursuit of Happyness and Ordinary People. Aled from SofaWatch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only seen PURSUIT, and you're right about Jaden. I still think he has potential to be a good actor, but he needs to stop working in movies co-starring and/or produced by his parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by his performance in After Earth he has a long, long way to go.

      Delete