Thursday 12 March 2015

Thursday Movie Picks - Live action fairy tales




The works of Hans Christian Anderson remain hugely influential even two centuries later, the films listed here may not have a direct link but remain influenced, in some way or another, by Anderson's works or by fairy tales. To be honest, I'm not sure if I've done this right. I also completely forgot you can pick bad movies. Anywho - check out the blog wanderingthroughtheshelves




Frank L Baum has always intended The Wizard of Oz to be a modernised fairy tale for the children of the generation in which the series of tales were released. It isn't hyperbolic to say that The Wizard of Oz is the most famous and iconic movies of Hollywood's Golden Age of cinema. From the sensational songs, superb set pieces, iconic lines, crazy characters and vile villains, The Wizard of Oz  is as iconic as they come. 



My personal favourite film, Guillermo del Toro's dark fairy tale is one of the finest films of the 21st century. From the stunning images, haunting soundtrack and heartbreaking story, the tale of a young girl using fairy tales and fantasy novels to escape from her world of war is a powerful, unforgettable experience. It really is the 'Citizen Kane of fantasy cinema'. 



Another example of a modernised fairy tale, and a film that is at least strongly influenced by fairy tales, is Tim Burton's Edward Scissorhands. Edward Scissorhands is the director's most moving and greatest works. It is also one of Depp's finest performances, a contrast to his current, repetitive performances.

17 comments:

  1. Oh, Edward Scissorhands is such a great choice! What a brilliant film, too :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first of three to express their love for Edward Scissorhands.

      Delete
  2. Edward Scissorhands is a brilliant choice, I never would've thought of that one. I included Pan's Labyrinth too, that film is just so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pan's Labyrinth is indeed perfect. I love it.

      Delete
  3. Edward Scissorhands is a brilliant choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually the first title that came to mind for the week was The Wizard of Oz, which is one of the best adaptations ever, but I was sure someone else would have it on their list so I went in search of other choices. It's such a great piece of film making it seems incredible now that it wasn't tremendously successful on its initial release though it did give Judy Garland the final push to major stardom. I've always loved it but when I was able to take my sister's kids to see it in the theatre during a re-release it was even more captivating.

    Edward Scissorhands is a wonderful choice, it certainly has that fairy tale feeling.

    Pan's Labyrinth is one I've always meant to see and haven't quite gotten to but it's on a couple of lists this week so I'll have to correct that ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of great, great films are not successful on first release, Blade Runner and The Thing for instance. Wizard of Oz is a great film, loved it as a child and only just watched for the first time in a decade.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love Pan's Labyrinth and its use of fairytale in the narrative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love how they are used to tell a very dark tale.

      Delete
  6. Pan's Labyrinth is in my All-Time Top Ten, and I love Edward Scissorhands - but they're truly original fairy tales in the best sense of those words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah....

      I did feel I broke the rules a little bit...

      Delete
  7. I love all three of these films. You sort of have to be missing a soul not to love The Wizard of Oz. Pan's and Edward Scissorhands are both tremendous, as well. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pan's Labyrinth is a wonderful film, completely forgot about that one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad we share Pan's Labyrinth here. Edward Scissorhands is a great choice too, an unconventional fairy tale for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pan's Labyrinth definitely crossed my mind on this one. Haven't seen Edward Scissorhands in many years. Cool picks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, and the other 2 are great too.

    ReplyDelete